Wind River Announces VxWorks 6.0
Foundation for Wind River Platforms
- Increased system reliability and developer productivity with new features including memory protection and a flexible application program interface (API)
- Early access to VxWorks 6.0 and new Wind Power IDE 2
VxWorks 6.0 will be the foundation for Wind River's next-generation, VxWorks-based Platforms. Subscription based customers will receive free upgrades to VxWorks 6.0. In addition to VxWorks 6.0, Wind River is also delivering the new Eclipse-based Wind Power IDE 2, which supports VxWorks 6.0 and Linux.
"Through Wind River Platforms, the company has focused aggressively on adding greater value to its customers as a means of differentiating their products from competitive offerings", said Jerry Krasner PhD, chief analyst at Embedded Market Forecasters. "With VxWorks 6.0, Wind River has significantly improved its core real-time operating system and addressed the emerging needs of the marketplace."
With VxWorks 6.0 companies can:
- Optimize developer productivity through open standards
- Increase reliability through MMU-based memory protection
- Accelerate time-to-market through enhanced error detection
- Seamlessly migrate existing VxWorks-based IP
- Continue to deliver products that rely on the core attributes of VxWorks including high performance, reliability, determinism, low latency and scalability
New technology features include:
- State-of-the-art memory protection
- Standard process-based programming model
- Customizable application program interface (API)
- Non-VxWorks application support
- Error detection and reporting mechanisms
- Scalable message passing architecture
- Dual mode IPv6/IPv4 network stack
- Integration with Wind Power IDE 2
"We are thrilled to see that with VxWorks 6.0, Wind River has created a product that so accurately reflects the evolving needs of our developers and the evolving requirements of our products," said Mr. Jin-Pyo Hong, senior research engineer, LG Electronics Inc. "We look forward to participating in the Wind River VxWorks 6.0 Release Program and using VxWorks 6.0 on our next projects."
"Now is the time for companies to optimize their device software development process, and with the latest technology upgrades announced today, Wind River Platforms will provide the foundation that enables our customers to build device software faster, better, less expensively and more reliably," said Michel Genard, senior director Platform marketing for Wind River.
VxWorks 6.0 Release Program
Developers can use VxWorks 6.0 before it is available to the general market. The Release Program includes VxWorks 6.0 and a preview Wind Power IDE 2 for VxWorks, which is based on the open Eclipse framework, as well as technical documentation, API reference documentation, demonstration source code and hands-on tutorials. With early access to Wind River technology, customers can drive early project design and alignment with their release schedule.
If you are interested in joining the VxWorks 6.0 Release Program, please visit www.windriver.com/announces/vxworks/release.
To learn more about VxWorks 6.0, please visit www.windriver.com/announces/vxworks.
About Wind River
Wind River is the market leader in device software optimization. Wind River enables companies to develop and run software faster, better, less expensively and more reliably. Wind River Platforms tightly integrate a rich set of market-leading operating systems, development tools and middleware with services to provide a complete foundation that meets the specific requirements of a vertical market. Wind River's products and professional services are used in multiple markets including aerospace and defense, automotive, digital consumer, industrial, and network infrastructure. Companies from around the world turn to Wind River to create the most reliable products and to accelerate their time to market.
Founded in 1981, Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, California, with operations worldwide. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com or call Wind River at 1-800-872-4977.
Wind River Systems and the Wind River Systems logo are trademarks of Wind River Systems, Inc., and VxWorks is a registered trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc. Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds. Third party marks and brands are the property of their respective holders.
Global Corporate Communications