Wind River VxWorks 6.8 Broadens Multicore Capabilities and Processor Support
VxWorks is a proven, high-performance, reliable, commercial-grade real-time operating system addressing the diverse needs of embedded systems. VxWorks 6.8 provides product differentiation via increased performance, a smaller footprint and hardware platform flexibility. Wind River’s newest version of VxWorks also provides choice in multicore architecture allowing customers to select the right solution for their needs. Improved OS primitives, USB support and file system performance with VxWorks 6.8 provide customers with increased product quality, more compatibility and improved product performance.
“Wind River’s continued investment in VxWorks is providing the market with a proven and trusted solution for embedded systems including multicore devices. With each release of VxWorks, Wind River continues to improve performance and broaden hardware support to enable the next generation of devices,” said Marc Brown, vice president, marketing and strategy, VxWorks Product Division, Wind River. “VxWorks 6.8 also demonstrates Wind River’s commitment to delivering a comprehensive solution for embedded systems.”
Additional key features and benefits of VxWorks 6.8 include:
- A standards-compliant solution and comprehensive mobile IP support to provide devices with next-generation networking capabilities for 4G and pre-4G including LTE and WiMAX technologies;
- Increased multicore processor support for Intel® Core™ i7 processor, ARM MPCore and Cortex A9; Freescale QorIQ P2020; Cavium 54xx, 55xx, 56xx, 57xx, 58xx; and RMI XLR, XLS allowing customers to choose the processor that best fits their needs;
- Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP) performance improvements and SMP core reservation;
- Asymmetric Multiprocessing (AMP) enhancements such as AMP spin locks, and a major upgrade to Wind River’s multi-OS inter-process communication with MIPC version 2.0, raising the bar for multicore capabilities with even higher performance thresholds;
- New small ARM footprint profile for creating embedded applications with very small memory requirements; and
- Significant developer tool productivity improvements, including VxWorks core dump file and analysis, and improvements to multicore and multi-OS debugging and user workflows.
VxWorks 6.8, available as part of VxWorks Edition 3.8, is immediately available to customers worldwide. Additional details about VxWorks 6.8 can be found at www.windriver.com/announces/vxworks6.8/.
About Wind River
Wind River, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), is a world leader in embedded and mobile software. Wind River has been pioneering computing inside embedded devices since 1981 and its technology is found in more than 500 million products. Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, Calif. with offices in more than 15 countries. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com or blogs.windriver.com.
Global Corporate Communications