Wind River Delivers Comprehensive Diagnostics and Test Environment for Device Development Teams
"It's very hard to isolate and correct faults in running software," said Naren Nachiappan, vice president and general manager of device management at Wind River. "Wind River Lab Diagnostics gives development and test teams a powerful collaborative infrastructure for bringing better products to market, faster by enabling rapid diagnostics and repair capabilities for running software. An extended implementation phase often compresses the time a company has to test a product before releasing it to manufacturing. The tests traditionally available at the verification and validation phase either focus at the black-box level or require time-consuming recompile and reboot cycles that limit a team's ability to adequately exercise the running application."
Wind River Lab Diagnostics helps streamline development and testing procedures by:
- Allowing developers to design-in testability and supportability into the operating system running on the device
- Allowing developers to rapidly instrument device software to isolate and correct problems without modifying the application source code, rebuilding and re-flashing boards, or stopping the device
- Enabling fact-based analysis of software defects, eliminating much of the guesswork and time developers traditionally spend trying to reproduce intermittent problems
- Pushing software to the extreme, application-specific conditions it may encounter in the field, to allow observation and fine-tuning of its behavior before releasing it to the marketplace
- Creating a living library of device data that will expedite support and inform future product iterations, even when the original development team has moved on.
Wind River and standards-based hardware platform provider, Emerson Network Power Embedded Computing, are collaborating on a develop-run-manage solution implemented on Emerson's MicroTCA platform.
"Marrying Wind River's Lab Diagnostics to Emerson's business of providing network equipment providers with MicroTCA and ATCA platforms will enable us to offer our customers a commercial-grade hardware/software platform and test infrastructure that goes a long way toward ensuring product quality and shortened time to volume," said Todd Wynia, VP, product management at Emerson's Embedded Computing Business.
Wind River Lab Diagnostics is available worldwide as part of the Wind River Device Management product line for a growing list of platforms and architectures. Current platform support includes VxWorks 6.X operating system running most PowerPC and Intel Architecture processors, VxWorks 5.5.1 on PowerPC and Wind River Linux 1.4 operating system on PowerPC and Intel Architecture processors.
About Wind River
Wind River is the global leader in Device Software Optimization (DSO). Wind River enables companies to develop and run device software faster, better, more reliably and at lower cost. Wind River Platforms are pre-integrated, fully-standardized enterprise-wide development solutions that reduce effort, cost and risk and optimize quality and reliability at all phases of the software development process from concept to deployed product.
Founded in 1981, Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, California, with operations worldwide. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com or call Wind River at 1-800-872-4977.
The Wind River logo is a trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc., and Wind River and VxWorks are registered trademarks of Wind River Systems, Inc. Other marks used herein are the property of the respective owners.
Global Corporate Communications