Wind River Introduces Security Profile for VxWorks to Safeguard IoT Devices
- Security profile for next-generation real-time operating system delivers capabilities to protect connected devices at every stage.
- Seamless integration with hardware- and software-based security capabilities from Wibu-Systems.
- Wind River continues to demonstrate its commitment to addressing evolving security needs with built-in security capabilities across its product portfolio.
ALAMEDA, Calif. — October 7, 2014 — Wind River®, a world leader in delivering software for intelligent connected systems, has introduced a security profile for the next generation version of its VxWorks® real-time operating system (RTOS). The profile adds advanced security capabilities to VxWorks 7 to protect Internet of Things (IoT) devices, data, and intellectual property.
Security Profile for VxWorks delivers capabilities to protect connected devices at every stage, including, boot-up, operation, data transmission, and powering down. It also effectively protects intellectual property from piracy and code from reverse engineering. Security Profile provides the following comprehensive set of software-based security features:
- Secure boot: Verifies binaries at every stage of the boot-up process
- Secure run-time loader: Prevents unauthorized execution and other forms of tampering with code
- Advanced user management: Protects devices from unauthorized access and enables the definition and enforcement of user-based policies and permissions
- Network security: Incorporates the latest Wind River security protocols, such as Wind River SSL, SSH, IPsec, and IKE to effectively secure network communications
- Encrypted containers: Supports TrueCrypt-compatible AES-encrypted file containers
For security-critical applications, the profile can be enhanced and seamlessly integrated with Wibu-Systems' CodeMeter® hardware- and software-based solution that has been tested and validated for interoperability.
"The most robust security is the one that precedes the attack and evolves in parallel with all other technologies, while meeting rising market needs," said Oliver Winzenried, CEO and co-founder of Wibu-Systems. "The integration of Wibu’s CodeMeter solution with VxWorks represents a significant milestone that will safeguard cyber-physical systems in industry, healthcare, energy, transportation, and military environments."
"With security becoming increasingly more critical as devices become more connected, hold more data, and contain valuable IP that must be protected, this security profile delivers a comprehensive set of security features to protect devices and data at every stage," said Dinyar Dastoor, vice president of product management at Wind River. "Wind River has been helping companies build secure devices for 30-plus years, and this is just another proof point of our commitment to providing robust security capabilities across our product portfolio."
Recognized as the industry-leading RTOS, VxWorks boasts a modular, scalable architecture that separates the VxWorks core from middleware, applications, and other packages, enabling bug fixes, upgrades, and new feature additions to be accomplished faster. The features available as part of Security Profile can be individually upgraded to newer versions without disrupting the OS core or other technologies in an installation.
Wind River and Wibu-Systems will be hosting a webcast, titled, "Enabling Embedded Security for the Internet of Things," on October 21. For more information and to register for the webcast, visit http://bit.ly/1rkDsdc.
More information about Security Profile for VxWorks is available at http://tinyurl.com/VxWorksSecurity. And to learn more about how Wind River is addressing the opportunities and challenges created by the Internet of Things, visit http://tinyurl.com/iotsite.
About Wind River
Wind River, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel® Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), is a world leader in delivering software for intelligent connected systems. The company has been pioneering computing inside embedded devices since 1981, and its technology is found in nearly 2 billion products. Wind River offers the industry's most comprehensive embedded software portfolio, supported by world-class global professional services and support and a broad partner ecosystem. Wind River delivers the technology and expertise that enables the innovation and deployment of safe, secure, and reliable intelligent systems. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com.
Wind River is a trademark or registered trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc. and its affiliates. Other names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Global Corporate Communications