Wind River Drives IoT Device Development with Real-Time Virtualization Offering
- Virtualization Profile for VxWorks integrates real-time embedded, Type 1 hypervisor into the core of the real-time operating system.
- Wind River real-time virtualization offering update includes storage virtualization capabilities, enhanced security capabilities, and expanded processor support.
- VxWorks continues to help customers develop scalable, future-proof, safer, and more secure operating environments for connected devices in the IoT.
Virtualization Profile for VxWorks® is based on Wind River virtualization technology and extends the scalability capabilities of VxWorks by integrating a real-time embedded, Type 1 hypervisor into the core of the real-time operating system (RTOS). Through embedded virtualization, it allows VxWorks customers to consolidate multiple disparate workloads on a single processor. Critical in today's era of IoT, it helps to address the need for robust, safer and more secure partitioning across all market segments.
“Virtualization is a key attribute in GE’s global vision for industrial control systems in the era of the Industrial Internet. It allows the GE businesses to combine their real-time control logic, HMI, security, and cloud connectivity into a single platform,” said Wes Skeffington, principal engineer at GE. “Wind River’s virtualization offering provides the right attributes like scalability, storage virtualization, real-time behavior, virtual machine isolation, and security capabilities to realize this vision.”
Updates to Virtualization Profile for VxWorks include the following:
• Storage virtualization through VirtIO allows devices to share a single storage controller, even a single disk, such as a Serial ATA device between multiple virtual machines (VMs), thereby dramatically reducing cost and complexity for consolidated systems. The run-time configuration, combined with support for the VirtIO device virtualization framework makes the virtualization profile a flexible and highly customizable virtualization layer for embedded devices.
• Enhanced security capabilities include seamless integration with the Security Profile for VxWorks. These capabilities help customers to guard security from power-on all the way through VM load and beyond with secure boot, secure load, and data encryption during transmission and after shutdown.
• Expanded support for Intel® Atom™ and Celeron™ processors, providing even greater choices for customers to build product lines that scale from low end controllers to major gateways and high performance compute and display stations.
“Embedded virtualization allows customers to meet the challenges of the IoT era; it enables a future-proof architecture that can adapt and evolve to meet changing market requirements, customer needs, and technology advancements,” said Dinyar Dastoor, vice president and general manager of operating system platforms at Wind River. “With these latest virtualization and security capability enhancements, Wind River has further strengthened VxWorks as the leading RTOS for IoT where connectivity, scalability and the ability to develop safer and more secure environments are paramount.”
The Virtualization Profile for VxWorks is an integral part of the Intel Industrial Solutions System Consolidation Series, a production-ready, virtualization software stack used for running an assortment of industrial and IoT workloads on a single platform.
More information about Virtualization Profile for VxWorks is available at http://tinyurl.com/VxWorksVirtualization. And to learn more about how Wind River is addressing the opportunities and challenges of IoT, visit http://tinyurl.com/WindHelix.
About Wind River
Wind River, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), is a global leader in delivering software for the Internet of Things. The company has been pioneering computing inside embedded devices since 1981, and its technology is found in more than 2 billion products. Wind River offers a comprehensive portfolio of solutions for addressing the system-level challenges and opportunities of IoT that is backed by world-class global professional services, award-winning customer support, and a broad partner ecosystem. Wind River delivers the software and expertise that enables the innovation and deployment of safe, secure, and reliable intelligent systems. To learn more, visit www.windriver.com.
Wind River is a trademark or registered trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc. and its affiliates. Other names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Global Corporate Communications