Wind River Launches Software Platform Addressing Challenges of Traffic Intensive Networks
- Wind River Intelligent Network Platform includes two software engines that provide fast packet acceleration and content inspection.
- Combination of software components help customers build faster, smarter, safer networks and realize significant time and cost savings.
- Platform can provide greater network intelligence while maintaining high performance, including up to 1100% improvement in IP-forwarding, up to a 500% improvement in throughput for UDP and performance boost for TCP.
The explosion of network traffic, coupled with the need to deliver high quality of service with stronger network visibility and security, has created new pressures for network equipment providers. Operators are also looking to accelerate the introduction of new services while driving down cost. Given this, operators are looking for networking equipment to offer increased performance, scalability, greater intelligence, better tools to analyze and manage traffic, and technology to ward of malicious activities. They are also seeking platforms that are scalable to support the transition to software defined networks.
Wind River Intelligent Network Platform is comprised of software that manages a consolidated control and data plane system, and software engines that provide fast packet acceleration and content inspection. Additional engines will continue to be developed to handle a variety of specialized needs, such as accelerated traffic flow-classification. The platform comes configured with Wind River Linux and a comprehensive suite of integrated development tools. Additionally, the platform supports different combinations of the components, including alternative Linux distributions. Wind River also offers global support, training and services.
Software engines currently available include:
- Wind River Application Acceleration Engine: Provides line rate packet throughput and layer 4 network protocol accelerated performance, and delivers major performance boosts compared to the native Linux network stack, with up to a 1100% improvement in IP-forwarding for select packet sizes, up to a 500% improvement in throughput for User Datagram Protocol applications and performance boost for TCP.
- Wind River Content Inspection Engine: High-speed pattern matching DPI solution matches large groups of regular expressions against blocks or streams of data using a scalable, cost-effective approach. This engine is ideal for applications that need to scan large amounts of data at line rate such as intrusion prevention, antivirus and unified threat management.
“Equipment providers are in need of powerful building blocks to help them build faster, smarter, safer networks,” said Paul Senyshyn, senior director of communication platforms at Wind River. “By using the combination of our technologies, our customers can address current growing network traffic challenges and be ready to scale for the future. Our efforts to create a comprehensive and secure network stack translate into immediate time-to-market savings for our customers.”
“Communications customers are looking to scale out their product portfolio at a faster pace, but with the same budgets. By moving to commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) offerings that incorporate optimized and tightly integrated hardware and software, customers can rapidly broaden their product lines with high-quality devices,” said Franklin Flint, global telecommunications strategist and marketing director of OEM Solutions at Dell. “Dell OEM Solutions’ next-generation communications platforms powered by Wind River software and Intel hardware can demonstrate scalable platforms that range from one to 32 cores – at a broad range of price and performance points that also deliver greater levels of network intelligence.”
Wind River Intelligent Network Platform is optimized for Intel® architecture, including the latest Intel® Platform for Communications Infrastructure, and integrated with the Intel® Data Plane Development Kit (Intel® DPDK). By combining Intel DPDK with applications such as DPI, companies can create high-performance solutions for a variety of network elements, security appliances, and mobile and broadband edge devices. Wind River offers support, training and services for the development of applications based on Intel DPDK.
A joint demonstration of Wind River Intelligent Network Platform technology with Dell and Intel will be available at 4G World, October 29–November 1, at Intel booth #501. The Wind River Intelligent Network Platform and its individual components are available now and more information can be found at http://www.windriver.com/announces/intelligent-network-platform/.
About Wind River
Wind River, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), is a world leader in embedded and mobile software. Wind River has been pioneering computing inside embedded devices since 1981 and its technology is found in more than 1 billion products. Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, Calif., with offices in more than 20 countries. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com or on Facebook.
Wind River is a trademark or registered trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc. and its affiliates. Other names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Global Corporate Communications