Until now, there have only been two options for building virtual networks and network functions virtualization (NFV) for telecom and other industries demanding high performance communications.
Option 1: Do-it-yourself
Hidden costs, high risk, increasing complexity
Option 2: Traditional enterprise software Failure to meet reliability and performance requirements
The answer to the growing complexity, carrier reliability, and the high performance demanded by today’s “always on” society is Wind River® Titanium Server.
Wind River Titanium Server is the industry's first fully integrated and feature-complete NFV software platform. Wind River Titanium Server enables an NFV infrastructure to achieve the ultra-reliability and high performance mandated for telecom networks. It delivers six 9s (99.9999%) reliability compared to the three 9s of virtualized platforms based on common enterprise software designed for IT. Based on open source and open industry standards, but with the carrier grade extensions required, Titanium Server is the only commercial server solution enabling service providers to maintain the rigorous uptime required as networks transition to a virtualized infrastructure. With Titanium Server, service providers can now meet the “always on” expectations of consumers.
Active Participation in:
Titanium Server includes the critical run-time components and lifecycle development tools, services, and developer support needed to successfully build and deploy a virtualized network running virtual network functions (VNF). Here’s what’s included:
- Carrier Grade Linux
- Carrier grade high-performance Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) virtualization
- Carrier grade accelerated vSwitch
- Carrier grade OpenStack
- Carrier grade middleware
- Lifecycle development tools
- TL 9000 design methodology to guarantee six 9s reliability
- Full 10 G line rate accelerated virtual switching running unmodified guest applications
- 10 µs deterministic interrupt latency to support virtualization in the most stringent customer-provided equipment (CPE) and access sections of the network
- Accelerated live virtual machine (VM) migration, including the “share nothing” model—40% faster than enterprise software
- 500 km geographical redundancy over a standard IP network; more over dedicated fiber
- Detection of failed controllers, hosts, or VMs 60x faster than enterprise Linux; automatic recovery, with no single point of failure
- Fully integrated telecom-grade security, including complete AAA access control
- Integrated and optimized single source for all the critical and complex carrier grade software components of an NFV system
- Designed by telecom engineers for the telecom industry
- Carrier grade attributes designed in from the start
- No compromise of performance or reliability
- Lowest total cost of ownership compared to do-it-yourself or enterprise solutions
- Substantial time-to-market savings with several engineering years of development already completed, tested, integrated, and deployed
- Backed by Wind River Award Winning Support
Carrier grade networks have stringent requirements. Today's telecom networks are all based on carrier grade attributes: network availability, security, performance, and management.
In an NFV architecture, delivering carrier grade reliability while also achieving high performance throughput with minimal latency becomes even more challenging. Not only does the operating system need to achieve 99.9999% guaranteed uptime, so do all the other software elements in the stack. Now, the operating system, hypervisor, virtual switch, orchestrator (OpenStack), and middleware must all deliver the carrier grade attributes.
Wind River Titanium Server is the software foundation for virtual machines to run VNFs. The platform is being used in a number of ETSI use cases and proof-of-concepts. Typical VNFs running on Titanium Server include:
- Virtual EPC
- Cloud RAN
- Virtual packet inspection
- Content delivery systems
- Virtual gateways