Wind River Delivers Extensive Product Support for Motorola's New MPC8245 PowerPC Processor
By virtue of Motorola and Wind River's Center of Excellence relationship (see related joint announcement, Wind River, Motorola Create Center of Excellence to Deliver Leading Software for Prominent PowerPC Microprocessors, February 12, 2001), the companies are able to quickly support leading PowerPC processors, such as the Motorola MPC8245 processor, upon their release with a broad array of development tools. From compilers that produce the fastest and smallest code to optimized product offerings like debuggers, board support packages, a reference board, network stacks, Java™ solutions, hardware bring-up tools, integrated development environments (IDEs) and real-time operating systems, Wind River delivers a complete MPC8245 processor development solution early in the processor life cycle.
"Wind River is an important partner in delivering customer solutions which can significantly accelerate development time," stated Brian Wilkie, vice president and general manager of Motorola's Computing Platform Division. "Further enhancing Motorola's Smart Networks Platform, we are pleased to have Wind River supporting the new MPC8245 integrated host processor."
"Wind River is pleased to deliver on our Center of Excellence relationship with Motorola," said John Fogelin, vice president and general manager of Wind River's Platforms business unit. "Even before the release of the MPC8245 processor, our companies have been working together to provide highly-integrated debuggers, compilers, control emulators, real-time operating systems and other tools crucial to supporting a number of important PowerPC processors from Motorola including the integrated MPC8245 processor."
Wind River Support for the MPC8245 Processor
This robust product offering allows embedded system developers to bring up new hardware, solve tough hardware-software integration issues and facilitate the production and test of completed products. Specifically, Wind River offers developers using Motorola's MPC8245 processor:
- Diab™ C/C++ compiler and RTA Suite™: The most highly optimized compiling solution and powerful run-time analysis tools for MPC8245 processor-based applications.
- Tornado® II: This offering provides GNU and Diab compiler support, the VxWorks® RTOS and a new board support package for the Wind River SBC8245 reference board and the Motorola Sandpoint Evaluation System with PMC8245 processor module.
- Tornado AE: Wind River's most advanced platform offering, implementing an innovative new computing paradigm for developing embedded applications. This offering provides the VxWorks AE RTOS and a new board support package for the Wind River SBC8245 reference board and the Motorola Sandpoint Evaluation System with PMC8245 processor module.
- Network stacks: A wide variety of network stacks are available to help developers build data communication, telecom, and storage applications based on the MPC8245 processor. Among the offerings are Tornado for Managed Switches, Tornado for Home Gateways, WindNet™ OSPFv2, BGP-4, PPP, MPLS, ATM, IPSec, IKE, L2TP, Envoy™ SNMPv1/v2c/v3, and the RapidControl™ line of device management products.
- Java Solutions: Personal JWorks™ is a complete implementation of Sun Microsystems´ PersonalJava Application Environment (PJAE) on Wind River's VxWorks RTOS. Personal JWorks is certified for full compatibility with the PersonalJava specification and allows developers to embed Java into their MPC8245 processor-based applications.
- visionPROBE II, visionICE II, visionCLICK, visionXD and SingleStep™ with vision: Hardware-assisted debugging solutions including real-time target control, source-level debugging, high speed downloads to the target, flash programming and built-in hardware diagnostics.
- visionWARE: A software development platform that extends the power of hardware-assisted tools and provides a premier boot loading capability.
- SBC8245 Reference Board: A solid platform for both hardware and software engineers to use in prototyping MPC8245 processor-based designs and a live target for developing and testing code.
Diab C/C++ Compiler and RTA Suite, Tornado II, Tornado AE, Java solutions, and the networking stacks are all available today supporting the MPC8245 processor. The hardware-assisted tools, including software debuggers, single board computer, emulators and visionWARE will be available during the summer 2001. Additionally, Tornado AE is being demonstrated this week on the MPC8245 processor at the Motorola Smart Networks Developer Forum in New Orleans. Wind River, a platinum sponsor for the event, will be exhibiting at booth #305.
About MPC8245 Processor
The MPC8245 Integrated PowerPC Processor fits applications where cost, space, power consumption and performance are critical requirements. This device provides a high level of integration, thereby significantly reducing system component cost. High integration results in a simplified board design, less power consumption and faster time-to-market solutions. This cost-effective, general purpose integrated processor targets systems using PCI interfaces in networking infrastructure, telecommunications and other embedded markets. It can be used for control processing in applications such as routers, switches, and networked storage applications and image display systems.
About Wind River
Wind River is a worldwide leader in embedded software and services for creating connected smart devices. Wind River provides software development tools, real-time operating systems, and advanced connectivity for use in products throughout the Internet, telecommunications and data communications, digital imaging, digital consumer electronics, networking, medical, computer peripherals, automotive, industrial automation and control, and aerospace/defense markets. Wind River is How Smart Things Think™. Founded in 1983, Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, California, with operations in sixteen countries worldwide.
Wind River Systems, the Wind River Systems logo, Diab, RTA Suite, Tornado, SingleStep, VxWorks, Envoy, RapidControl, and WindNet are registered trademarks or trademarks of Wind River Systems, Inc. All other names mentioned are trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of their respective companies.
Global Corporate Communications