Wind River Showcases Connected Car Technologies at 2015 North American International Auto Show
- Wind River to demonstrate connected in-vehicle infotainment, including smartphone integration, and ECU consolidation solutions.
- With its rich portfolio of automotive embedded software expertise and integration services, Wind River has a proven track record with hundreds of complex automotive projects.
- Wind River booth will be located in Hall E at the NAIAS Technology Showcase during press and industry previews on Jan. 12-15.
"Wind River has been a key contributor to the developments of the connected car for over a decade, and we’re committed to continue to grow our suite of advanced software solutions this year," said Michael Krutz, senior vice president of automotive solutions. "As we look at the challenges around safety and security emerging with the connected vehicle, Wind River is able to take its knowledge of mission-critical software – from space missions like the Mars Rover or commercial aviation aircrafts where failure is not an option – and apply them to the automobile to help car makers ensure safety while they increase value for the consumer."
Wind River demonstrations at NAIAS include the following:
- Wind River Platform for Infotainment – a GENIVI 5.0-compliant, Linux Yocto Project-based in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) software platform that helps OEM and Tier 1 customers quickly overcome the complexity involved with creating connected, rich IVI systems.
- Customizable Android-based IVI platform with advanced connectivity and multimedia capabilities such as hotspot/tethering and connection to cloud-based services, HD video reproduction, and multi-touch display.
- Smartphone integration capabilities
- Electronic control unit (ECU) consolidation and digital cluster display that highlights cost, space, weight, and power savings but also reduced complexity through shifting integration efforts from hardware to software.
The role of software has grown increasingly significant as automotive systems become more complex in order to meet evolving automotive market demands and certification requirements, especially with the new challenges that come from growing movements such as the connected vehicle, autonomous driving, and the Internet of Things. Automotive companies are increasingly seeking software and integration expertise.
"Few companies have Wind River’s unique mix of wide-ranging automotive industry and embedded software experience and proven technology portfolio. From advanced IVI to safe and secure ADAS technologies to autonomous driving, Wind River's extensive knowledge of design, software development, integration, lifecycle management services and its world-class support helps automotive OEMs and their Tier 1 suppliers innovate and better manage the highly detailed requirements and certifications, complex software integration, and intricate project planning specific to the automotive industry," continued Krutz.
In addition to the GENIVI-compliant Platform for Infotainment, the Wind River automotive portfolio includes Wind River Diab Compiler, Wind River Workbench IDE, Wind River Simics® simulation software, Wind River Linux and VxWorks operating systems with add-on Safety, Security, and Virtualization Profiles, as well as multimedia, connectivity, and Android-based technologies. Wind River is also a founding member of the GENIVI Alliance, a non-profit industry alliance committed to driving the broad adoption of an IVI open-source development platform.
Furthermore, Wind River's global automotive software development and integration organization spans five continents and employs a vast assemblage of automotive focused engineers and technologists. The group includes a dedicated software development, system integration, and applications teams, as well as program management office team dedicated to developing and best practices for rapid development and deployment of high quality software solutions.
Located in Hall E at the Cobo Center in Detroit, the Technology Showcase at NAIAS is open January 12-15 for press and industry previews. The Technology Showcase is designed to highlight technologies that will impact connectivity, automation and efficiency in the next generations of vehicles. More information about Wind River’s presence at NAIAS 2015 is available at http://www.windriver.com/events/naias-2015/.
About Wind River
Wind River, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), is a world leader in delivering software for intelligent connected systems. The company has been pioneering computing inside embedded devices since 1981, and its technology is found in nearly 2 billion products. Wind River offers the industry's most comprehensive embedded software portfolio, supported by world-class global professional services and support and a broad partner ecosystem. Wind River delivers the technology and expertise that enables the innovation and deployment of safe, secure, and reliable intelligent systems. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com.
# # #
Wind River is a trademark or registered trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc. and its affiliates. Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation in the United States and other countries. Other names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Global Corporate Communications