Wind River Maintains Longstanding Position as Global Embedded Software Leader
- Wind River tops the market again with continued leadership for its operating system platforms.
- Market share for Wind River traditional real-time operating system and embedded Linux more than double that of closest competitors per VDC findings.
- Wind River's comprehensive portfolio contributes to its position as embedded market leader and innovator of solutions to address complex challenges of new industry needs such as the Internet of Things and Network Functions Virtualization.
According to VDC, Wind River retains its longstanding position as the traditional RTOS market leader for its portfolio of embedded products and services, led by its VxWorks® RTOS. Additionally, VDC has recognized Wind River as the embedded Linux market leader for its Wind River Linux platform and related solutions for the sixth consecutive year. In its latest findings, VDC determined that Wind River led the market for worldwide shipments of both RTOS and embedded Linux and related services.
According to VDC, Wind River led with the following statistics:
- Nearly 40 percent of total market revenue for worldwide shipments of traditional RTOS and related services.
- More than 50 percent of total market revenue for worldwide shipments of Linux and related services.
- In both categories, Wind River percentage of total market revenue was more than double that of the closest competitor.
"Topping the market time and again, Wind River is the embedded industry market revenue share leader for its traditional RTOS and Linux platforms," said Chris Rommel, executive vice president at VDC Research. "Software complexity for the embedded industry has been climbing rapidly, especially with evolving market challenges such as those for IoT and NFV applications. Wind River's perennial leadership is a testament to its wide range of products and services across multiple industries and applications."
"Wind River's continued leadership reflects the compelling value of our comprehensive portfolio of proven products and services, as well as a rich technology heritage that draws from more than 30 years of embedded and vertical industry expertise," said Barry Mainz, president of Wind River. "We are committed to helping our customers achieve success and strive to make ongoing investments that will ensure our offerings continue to address dynamic and diverse market needs."
Wind River possesses a unique advantage within the embedded industry with its comprehensive software portfolio, which comprises run-time technologies including VxWorks, Wind River Linux and Android technologies, development tools, and full system simulation, as well as a wide range of proven industry-specific software solutions, combined with world-class global professional services and support.
About Wind River
Wind River, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel® Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), is a world leader in delivering software for intelligent connected systems. The company has been pioneering computing inside embedded devices since 1981, and its technology is found in nearly 2 billion products. Wind River offers the industry's most comprehensive embedded software portfolio, supported by world-class global professional services and support and a broad partner ecosystem. Wind River delivers the technology and expertise that enables the innovation and deployment of safe, secure, and reliable intelligent systems. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com.
# # #
Wind River is a trademark or registered trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc. and its affiliates. Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation in the United States and other countries. Other names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Global Corporate Communications