Wind River Introduces Security Software for Android Devices
- New Wind River Android security software includes modules for SE Android, partitioning and secure boot.
- Using the Wind River software modules, companies can immediately begin addressing complex Android device security needs.
- Wind River continues efforts to address evolving security needs for the development of trusted systems.
DESIGN WEST, SAN JOSE, Calif. â€“ Apr. 23, 2013 â€“ Wind RiverÂ®, a world leader in embedded and mobile software, has introduced three Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android Security that allow developers to quickly begin working on security requirements for Android-based devices.
The new software offerings enhance Android-based device security with advancements around Security Enhanced (SE) Android, partitioning and secure boot processes. Highlights from each module include the following:
- Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android, SE Android: Set of enhancements added to the open source SE Android project that address a variety of vulnerabilities to make SE Android suitable for commercial use. The module also enables specialized policies as demanded by enterprises and IT departments, such as restricted privileges and customized application download policies.
- Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android, Lightweight Partitioning: Security isolation providing multiple encrypted partitions where data can be kept secure. Isolated operation modes allow different user and work purposes on a single device as multiple personas, and expands device usage models with specialized access to varying security domains such as top secret or classified data.
- Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android, Secure Boot: Security components for verifying and validating each stage of the boot process before being executed, including advanced authentication to prevent malicious software from running. Module secures the boot process without affecting boot time.
As Android devices and technologies continue to evolve, the embedded Android market is facing a growing need for greater security capabilities. Leveraging its deep embedded market and Android experience, Wind River can provide vital security capabilities on top of the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) to cover devices across multiple vertical markets such as aerospace and defense, automotive, industrial and medical.
"The Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android Security help developers unfamiliar with Android, or lacking the in-depth expertise to augment the AOSP software stack, to easily start working on complex security requirements," said Chris Buerger, senior director of open platform products at Wind River. "Wind River provides coverage for critical security gaps in the open source Android project as well as extends capabilities to give customers the confidence of commercial-quality Android with long term support and maintenance."
The new software offerings expand the Wind River portfolio of Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android, including existing modules for automotive, medical and connectivity. Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android incorporate deep, embedded industry knowledge and experience working on Android-based devices. These modules provide a unique advantage for customers to shorten their development lifecycle achieving faster time-to-market while addressing the gap between the Android Open Source Project and real-market requirements around performance, user experience, and manageability. Using Wind River's Android expertise, companies can quickly develop highly differentiated Android-based products.
Further enhancing its security portfolio and commitment to delivering trusted systems with built-in security, Wind River also announced today the latest version of Wind River VxWorks MILS Platform, designed for the development of devices and systems with high security, high robustness, and high performance requirements. More detail is available at http://windriver.com/news/press/pr.html?ID=11742.
Wind River will also be present at DESIGN West 2013 in San Jose, California from April 22 - 25 at booth #926 in the Intelligent Systems Zone.
Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android Security are available now. More information is available at http://windriver.com/products/mobile/solution-accelerator-android-security/.
About Wind River
Wind River, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), is a world leader in embedded and mobile software. Wind River has been pioneering computing inside embedded devices since 1981 and its technology is found in more than 1 billion products. Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, Calif., with offices in more than 20 countries. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com or on Facebook.
Wind River is a trademark or registered trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc. and its affiliates. Other names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Global Corporate Communications