Wind River® Intelligent Device Platform is a scalable, sustainable, and secure development environment that simplifies the development, integration, and deployment of gateways for the Internet of Things (IoT). It is based on Wind River industry-leading operating systems, which are standards-compliant and fully tested, and includes Wind River development tools. The platform provides device security, smart connectivity, rich network options, and device management. Intelligent Device Platform includes ready-to-use components built exclusively for developing machine-to-machine (M2M) applications.
- Gateway security: Delivers built-in security features designed to secure the communication channel, the data, and the end device
- Application enablement: Provides Lua, Java, and OSGi application environments to enable portable, scalable, and reusable application development on both resource-constrained and full-featured devices
- Device connectivity: Embraces IoT protocol MQTT for data transportation and native support for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, ZigBee, and short-range wireless protocols widely used in IoT devices
- Remote device management: Supports well-established management protocols such as TR-069 and OMA DM
Connectivity, manageability, and security are core IoT building blocks, essential to reducing device manufacturers' time-to-market, complexity, and risk. Wind River Intelligent Device Platform delivers on all three:
- Pre-integrated smart and connected capabilities enable rich network options to save development time and costs.
- Validated and flexible firmware provides an extensive network of connectivity choices, including broad modem support and PAN, LAN, and WAN network access.
- Platform customization significantly reduces development time while increasing the product's life span and uptime.
- An included intuitive web-based tool for provisioning and device management reduces configuration and support costs.
- Features designed for IoT software development protect critical data throughout the device life cycle.
- Customizable secure remote management ensures end device integrity via secure boot, provides encrypted communication between device and cloud-based management console, and limits exposure of untrusted applications through device resource management.
Intelligent Device Platform now offers application portability with leading programming environments such as Lua and Java to enable customers to quickly build gateway applications, connect, and send and receive data from the cloud.
Intelligent Device Platform runs in conjunction with Wind River operating environments and therefore supports a wide array of hardware platforms. The platform comes with pre-integrated hardware support from leading manufacturers, and its development tools can be used to optimize the IoT stack for a given hardware platform. Wind River Professional Services offers assistance for optimizing hardware integration.
Transportation systems rely on data and automated decisions to ensure safe and predictable service, as well as economic viability for operators. Wind River Intelligent Device Platform enables vehicles to communicate with each other, and transportation equipment and systems to operate more predictably and efficiently, while simultaneously enhancing safety and enabling operators to meet stringent certification requirements.
For both businesses and residences, building automation holds great potential for reducing power consumption and incorporating efficiencies based on the schedules and usage patterns of inhabitants. Building operators and residential consumers can monitor utility consumption and control heating, lighting, and security systems remotely. Smart power meters and appliances can communicate with intelligent power sources to help balance supply and demand. Intelligent Device Platform enables IoT devices to make smart buildings and homes a reality.
Enormous productivity gains in existing industrial automation operations are spawning the creation of entirely new businesses and services made possible only by a smart networked infrastructure. Intelligent Device Platform provides a complete software development environment to accelerate the development of smart IoT devices.
M2M monitoring and control enable the smart grid to adjust to ever-changing conditions with enhanced reliability, security, and performance. The smart energy grid integrates traditional and emerging power sources for the delivery of cleaner, safer, and more economical energy. Intelligent Device Platform allows connected devices to perform power management tasks with finer precision and faster response times than manual, human-dependent systems, thereby saving energy, prioritizing usage, and setting policies for response to outages.
Wind River Intelligent Device Platform now supports Intel® Atom™, with the following peripherals enabled in the chipset:
Exegin's native ZigBee stack is a complete robust implementation that provides flexibility to integrate with various radio options and meet all ZigBee 802.15.4 specifications. Learn more.
OMA DM and TR-069
OMA DM is a device management protocol specified by Open Mobile Alliance. TR-069 is a specification for remote management of deployed devices that are typically used in wired customer premises equipment (CPE)*. The TR-069 agent included in Wind River Intelligent Device Platform is OneAgent from Works Systems. This agent runs on a deployed device and provides a management channel for a centralized management console. Learn more.
OSGi-based Home Automation Software Development Kit
Intelligent Device Platform includes an software development kit (SDK) that can be used to develop OSGi-based home automation software components. It is implemented with the ProSyst mBS Smart Home SDK, which provides interfaces for UPnP, Z-Wave, and ZigBee. Learn more.