The world's most critical defense, networking, and industrial infrastructure requires high assurance of security along with protection from intentional threats and inadvertent errors. In addition, there is pressure to increase the capability of these systems while at the same time reducing their costs.
Wind River® VxWorks® MILS Platform provides an operating run-time environment designed for systems having high security, high assurance, and high performance requirements. VxWorks MILS Platform implements an industry-standard system architecture called Multiple Independent Levels of Security (MILS) that enables multiple software components with different security levels, or from different domains, to safely and securely share the same hardware platform. By sharing a single hardware platform (containing either a single processing core or multiple cores) among multiple applications, manufacturers can significantly reduce the costs of the system by reducing size, weight, and power (SWaP) requirements.
Wind River has leveraged its experience with the industry-leading Wind River VxWorks 653 Platform for safety-certified integrated modular avionics (IMA) systems to create the VxWorks MILS separation kernel, which meets the security functional requirements and security assurance requirements in the "U.S. Government Protection Profile for Separation Kernels in Environments Requiring High Robustness" (SKPP), version 1.03. VxWorks MILS Platform provides the ideal high performance and scalable software foundation on which to build multilevel secure systems (MLS), cross-domain solutions (CDS), and other security-critical systems.
Designed to meet the stringent security functional requirements and security assurance requirements of Common Criteria EAL6+, VxWorks MILS Platform is ready for use in systems that may require high assurance, system-level evaluation. Common Criteria–based security evaluation evidence and DO-178C DAL A safety certification evidence will be available for VxWorks MILS Platform (single core version) to support system-level evaluation or certification and accreditation (C&A) processes.
- Secure, Type 1 hypervisor–based separation kernel compliant to SKPP v1.03
- Supports single core and multi-core processor configurations
- Security evaluation evidence package available (single core version only)
- Powerful two-level scheduling architecture
- VxWorks 5.5 Guest OS
- VxWorks 6.9 Guest OS (multi-core version only)
- High Assurance Environment
- General Network Stack
- Wind River Workbench development suite
- Configuration and build partitioning tools
- RTCA DO-297 (EUROCAE ED-124) development process support
- Complementary technologies from the Wind River partner ecosystem
Supported Target Architectures
- PowerPC 86xx (single core only)
- PowerPC 85xx (single core only)
- PowerPC QorIQ P4080 (multi-core only)
Supported Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) Board Support Packages
- BSP for Curtiss-Wright VPX6-185 (PowerPC MPC8641D; single core only)
- BSP for Wind River SBC8548 (PowerPC MPC8548; single core only)
- BSP for Wind River SBCP4080 (PowerPC QorIQ P4080; multi-core only)
- BSP for Curtiss-Wright VPX6-187 (PowerPC QorIQ P4080; multi-core only)
Optional Components for VxWorks MILS Platform
- High Assurance Network Stack
- Wind River Linux Guest OS
- Wind River Workbench On-Chip Debugging
- Wind River ICE 2
- Wind River Probe
The world-class Wind River partner ecosystem ensures tight integration between our core technologies and those of the premier hardware and software companies we've chosen to build out our solutions. Our partners help extend the capabilities of Wind River development and run-time platforms by offering out-of-the-box integration and support for key technologies in the aerospace and defense market. Our customer support team is trained to troubleshoot partner technologies in use with Wind River products, making ours the most comprehensive and best-supported partner ecosystem in the industry.
Wind River supports the use of open industry standards. Because we believe the world is changing too fast to lock our customers into proprietary technologies, we've built our solution on open standards, expertly integrated and intelligently applied.