LDRA TBrun - Automated Unit Testing (LDRA Ltd)
LDRA TBrun - Embedded Unit Testing Automation and Integration Testing Software
- Test case profiling: Automatic detection of redundant test cases.
- GUI based test design, (No single line of scripting language is required)
- Automated Unit and Integration Testing: Automatic test harnesses generation, Automatic test stubs generation and test documentation reporting for traceability and links to software requirements.
- Automated test data/vector generation.
- Black-Box testing: Functional testing to verify whether functional requirements are correctly implemented.
- Available for any Embedded System: Automatic Host/Target executions, deployment from your host platform to the Wind River Tornado cross environment.
What is Unit Testing?
Unit testing may be defined as a process of verification and validation of an individual module or unit of software. In its simplest form a unit may be a single function or method that has been isolated from the main body of application code. The analysis of this unit, in isolation, is normally achieved by means of the developers writing additional driver modules or test harnesses, which manage the necessary unit inputs and outputs.
The major strength of unit testing is that it enables developers to apply analysis techniques much earlier in the development lifecycle than might otherwise be achieved. Studies, however, have indicated that unit testing is under-utilised by up to 90% of software developers because traditional techniques are labour-intensive, expensive, dependent on expert knowledge and are therefore unattractive to developers and testers alike. This aside, it is generally acknowledged that it is much more cost effective to identify and resolve software errors in the early stages of the development cycle, and hence the application of source code analysis techniques at the unit level will yield significant long-term cost benefits.
What is TBrun?
In response to the issues outlined above, LDRA has developed TBrun. TBrun utilises the powerful Static and Dynamic Analysis facilities of the LDRA tool suite to provide a sophisticated, fully automated, unit test solution. TBrun automatically generates test harnesses for the unit under test and, in so doing, saves time, frees up highly qualified staff, increases test efficiency and improves motivation to test through a repeatable, less error-prone process.
As TBrun is fully integrated with the LDRA tool suite it enables the application of a wide range of Static and Dynamic Analysis techniques at a variety of levels. The code being analysed, the unit, therefore may be a single function, a set of functions, a source file, a sub-system or even a complete system. This powerful feature allows TBrun to be used for unit, module, sub-system and integration testing.
Studies have shown that, compared to manual techniques, testing efficiency in the unit code and test arena can be improved by as much as 76% using TBrun.
If you are interested in more information on how Wind River partners with this company, click here.