At Wind River®, we take pride in the innovations that have made VxWorks® the No. 1 real-time operating system (RTOS) in the world, and we're committed to continued excellence in each of our core strength areas:
- Footprint: VxWorks has a completely configurable and tunable small memory footprint for today’s memory-constrained systems. You control how much of the operating system you need.
- Real-time performance: Capable of dealing with the most demanding time constraints, VxWorks is a high-performance RTOS tuned for both determinism and responsiveness.
- Reliability: A high-reliability RTOS, VxWorks provides certification evidence required by strict safety and security standards. Even for non-safety-critical systems, VxWorks is counted on to run forever, error-free.
- Scalability: An indispensable RTOS foundation for very small-scale devices, large-scale networking systems, and everything in between, VxWorks is the first RTOS to provide full 64-bit processing to support the ever-growing data requirements for embedded real-time systems. VxWorks is scalable in terms of memory footprint and functionality; our modular design allows you to tune it to the exact needs of your project's footprint and processing power requirements.
- State-of-the-art memory protection: Memory management unit (MMU)–based memory protection increases reliability. VxWorks is process-based, providing user-mode application execution in addition to its traditional kernel-mode execution.
- Multi-core leadership: The VxWorks SMP- and AMP-enabled platforms allow developers to deliver higher-performance multi-core-powered products with reduced risk and development investment.
- Extensive connectivity: VxWorks delivers support of industry-leading connectivity standards and protocols out of the box, with proven high performance networking support, including offload acceleration.
- Backward compatibility: VxWorks 6.x is designed to ease migration from VxWorks 5.5. To that end, the kernel of VxWorks 6.x supports the VxWorks 5.5 kernel operating environment. Most board support packages (BSPs), drivers, and kernel applications developed for or ported to VxWorks 5.5 will run in the VxWorks 6.x kernel.
- Wind River Workbench development environment: Workbench offers best-in-class development, debug, and analysis tools for VxWorks deployment and development. System analysis tools provide unique in-depth information about system behavior as a complement to the advanced debugging tools available in Workbench. VxWorks simulation, system configuration, and deployment tools are included. Optional extras such as Wind River Workbench On-Chip Debugging complement the development suite.
Next-Generation Platform Support
- Unique optimizations available for the latest-generation 64-bit processors
- Memory made accessible beyond the RTOS 4GB memory barrier
- Full utilization of all the processing power in your hardware platform
- Excellent scalability for high performance in next-generation devices
- Support for multi-core processors out of the box, with extensive configuration options
- Alignment with multiple CPU vendor roadmaps and release schedules
- Unique configuration options, including multiple SMP across “any-to-any” core groupings and mixed SMP/AMP modes
- Pre-integrated and optimized industry-specific solutions
- Smaller footprints with the same or more processing power
- Ability to exploit new CPU technologies from your supplier of choice with minimal lag.
Flexible Business Model
- Extensible licensing across all projects, so the more projects you have, the lower the contribution per customer product
- Production licenses that enable multiple projects and are paid on in-service applications
- Production costs shifted to operating expenses, making budget allocation more manageable and predictable
- Licensing aligned with customer success
Complete COTS Solution
- Extensive BSP options offering better out-of-the-box experience and minimized project risk with reduced need for large custom builds
- Broad partner ecosystem with integrated and optimized solutions across hardware and industry use cases
- Complete development tools, plug-ins, and utilities, with excellent third-party tool integrations
- Complete services portfolio, including architecture assessment and application and multi-core migration