Wind River Software Delivers Immediate Android Capabilities for Accelerated Device Development
- Wind River has packaged Android expertise and technologies into three specialized software offerings: user experience, connectivity and medical modules.
- Modular nature of the offerings gives developers flexibility to pick and choose software components to fill in gaps in expertise and instantly integrate complex, differentiating features.
- Wind River’s Android modules dramatically accelerate Android device development and reduce engineering time and cost to help developers turn around high quality devices faster than ever.
ALAMEDA, Calif. — Jan. 5, 2012 — Wind River, a world leader in embedded and mobile software, has introduced Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android, a series of software modules to help developers jumpstart their Android development and rapidly integrate compelling features and functionalities to their devices.
Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android are currently available in three software modules: 1) User Experience, 2) Connectivity and 3) Medical. Highlights from each module include the following:
- User Experience: accelerated boot time technologies including Hyper boot enabling devices to resume from RAM in less than 1 second and from Flash in 8 seconds, multi-windowing screen navigation, multimedia functionalities and a firmware management system that supports both online and offline update methods.
- Connectivity: multimedia interoperability capabilities via the DLNA standard, SyncML support and FM radio capabilities.
- Medical: Designed to help medical device manufacturers leverage Android’s platform richness and flexibility for innovation, this module supports the IEEE 11073 stack, the format for information exchange between personal health devices such as weight scales, blood pressure monitors and blood oxygen monitors. The module also includes an optimized Bluetooth Health Device Protocol implementation and applications for medical sensor management and resulting data display, reporting and communication.
“Fast-paced technology release cycles and intense competitive pressures have created incredibly tight market deadlines and the demand to create differentiating features, while staying on budget, continues to increase,” said Chris Buerger, senior director of product management and marketing for Android software at Wind River. “Wind River is taking its wealth of Android knowledge and providing a catalog of powerful Android solution accelerators that developers can immediately draw from and customize to their individual device development needs.”
Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android are tested and validated applications and middleware components that can be combined with expert custom engineering services to optimize for market specific needs. Original equipment manufacturers, original design manufacturers and service providers can use Wind River Android Solution Accelerators to quickly build their own Android-based offerings and then add branding, personalization and other distinguishing features.
Wind River possesses extensive Android expertise, most recently working with major global players such as Clarion, Fujitsu and Leadcore Technology on a diverse range of Android implementations. Wind River has grown a network of specialized mobile technology development centers around the world and is also a founding member of the Open Handset Alliance, joining in 2007 as an original Linux commercialization partner. Wind River offers a powerful portfolio of mobile solutions as well as world-class global support and services, including highly complex customization and optimization work for open source platforms such as Android.
Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android modules are immediately available to customers worldwide. Additional information about Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android is available at http://www.windriver.com/products/mobile/.
Additionally, Wind River will be at CES showcasing Wind River Solution Accelerators for Android demonstrations at booth MP25057. A complete list of Wind River’s CES activities is available at http://www.windriver.com/announces/ces-2012/.
About Wind River
Wind River, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC), is a world leader in embedded and mobile software. Wind River has been pioneering computing inside embedded devices since 1981 and its technology is found in more than 1 billion products. Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, Calif., with offices in more than 20 countries. To learn more, visit Wind River at www.windriver.com or www.facebook.com/WindRiverSystems.
Wind River is a trademark or registered trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc. and its affiliates. Other names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Director, Global Communications