- Every year, more than 60 new digital video product lines are designed with Wind River software.
- Wind River offers the industry's most comprehensive, reliable and best-selling foundation for set-top box and interactive digital television (iDTV) middleware development.
- Wind River's operating systems have been more frequently utilized by the major set-top box manufactures than any other type of set-top box operating system, with nearly 50 percent market share.*
- Wind River is used in every type of set-top box, from basic MPEG2 decoding receivers to middleware-enabled intermediate decoders and advanced receivers with broadband capability.
- In addition to set-top boxes, Wind River technology is used in integrated digital televisions made by Mitsubishi, Sanyo, Philips, Samsung, Bang & Olufsen, JVC, LG, Toshiba, Zenith and Daewoo.
- Wind River software also powers standalone digital video recorders such as the popular SonicBlue ReplayTV 4000.
- Wind River technology powers the world's first and only broadband-enabled digital cable set-top box, the Sony DHG-M55. This set-top box offers true video on demand to Cablevision customers in the United States; an industry first.
- VxWorks®, the run-time component of the Tornado® II embedded development platform, is the most widely-adopted real-time operating system in the embedded industry.
- Wind River offers iDTV manufacturers new innovative business models, which provides them with greater flexibility and lower development and runtime costs.
- As the most performant foundation for the MHP standard, Wind River's JWorks™ PersonalJava technology helps link the broadcasting and Internet worlds by enabling set-top boxes, TVs and other devices to access standards-based enhanced interactive broadcasts and Internet content simultaneously.
About Wind River
Wind River is a worldwide leader in integrated embedded software solutions for creating reliable and innovative connected devices. Wind River provides development tools, operating systems, and advanced connectivity software for use in products in network infrastructure, digital consumer electronics, automotive, industrial, and aerospace/defense markets. Wind River is How Smart Things Think™. Founded in 1981, Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, California, with operations worldwide.
Wind River Systems, the Wind River Systems logo, WindNet and How Smart Things Think are trademarks of Wind River Systems, Inc., and VxWorks is a registered trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc. All other names mentioned are trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of their respective companies.
* IMS Research: Worldwide Market for Digital STBs and iDTVs, Alison Bogle
Director, Global Communications