Wind River Transforms Consumer Device Industry; Announces Comprehensive Suite of Products and Service Offerings, Expanded Partner Ecosystem and Reference Design Systems
- Announces Wind River General Purpose Platform, Linux Edition and latest version of Platform for Consumer Devices, VxWorks Edition
- Announces Consumer Device Services Practice, further establishing its position as the only DSO provider to offer tailored consulting and design services
- Wind River named MIPS Technologies’ premier DSO solution provider
- Extends partner ecosystem to optimize the development process and foster innovative engineering
ALAMEDA, Calif. and ORLANDO, Fla. — May 23, 2005 — Wind River Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:WIND), the global leader in Device Software Optimization (DSO), today announced that it is transforming the consumer device industry with the Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices, based on VxWorks, Wind River’s industry-leading real-time operating system (RTOS). This latest platform is a fully integrated DSO solution that enables consumer device manufacturers to create innovative and reliable device software better, faster and at a lower cost. Wind River will be demonstrating Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices, VxWorks Edition on Texas Instruments’ leading Voice over IP (VoIP) gateway platforms at its Worldwide User Conference taking place this week in Orlando, Fla. Also at the show, Wind River will showcase its newest Linux solutions, bringing more choice and flexibility to developers across all industries.
Additionally today, Wind River launched its Consumer Device Services Practice, bringing to the industry the only comprehensive, worldwide service entity that offers a full range of device design and development consulting services. The company also announced plans to expand its partnerships with leading hardware and software providers in the space in order to make it even easier for customers to get all the device development solutions they need faster and at a lower cost so they can speed time to market.
“The consumer device space is one of Wind River’s largest markets, as device software in this space has some of the most complex technical challenges and equally some of the shortest production windows of any vertical market space,” said Chris Lanfear, director, VDC software practice. “Market demand for smarter, more connected devices is almost insatiable, and consumer device manufacturers can no longer ignore the need for device software optimization solutions such as Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices.”
Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices, VxWorks Edition
There is increased pressure to get new products to market fast. New complexity in the products themselves, though, can slow development, especially when engineers have to spend time integrating incompatible software, tools and processes before they can add differentiated value to their brand. Developers are increasingly turning to comprehensive DSO products and solutions, such as Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices, VxWorks Edition, to help them address these major market challenges. Key features and functionality of this platform include:
- Industry leading real-time operating system support: Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices relies on the proven VxWorks operating system that provides process support and advanced memory protection, as well as configurable error management. Customers can also easily achieve fast boot up time and scalable memory footprint with their applications. Please visit today’s related Wind River VxWorks release: http://www.windriver.com/news/press/pr.html?ID=2186
- Advanced middleware technologies: More and more consumer devices need to be connected securely and managed remotely. Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices provides the leading technologies for the connectivity, security, graphic displays, and managements. Support such as IPv4/v6, IPSec, firewall, WindML, Web services and SNMP is included.
- Integrated Development Environment support: Based on the Eclipse framework, Wind River Workbench provides the deep capabilities that support the entire development lifecycle from hardware bring-up to product test and manufacture. Wind River Workbench provides standardization on one common development suite across an entire organization, and is extensible and scalable so that it allows customers to meet unique project needs, and seamlessly integrates hundreds of third party plug-ins. Please visit today’s related Wind River Workbench release: http://www.windriver.com/news/press/pr.html?ID=2187
General Purpose Platform, Linux Edition
The Wind River General Purpose Platform, Linux Edition is based on kernel.org and delivers an integrated platform designed for both “hard-core” Linux kernel developers as well as Linux-based application developers:
- Based on Linux 2.6.10 kernel
- Workbench 2.3 development suite support
- Commercial strength development methodology and support: leverages two decades of Wind River experience in developing, integrating, testing, and supporting device software that requires a high degree of reliability and scalability
- Flexibility in configuration and purchase options
“Innovation is the hallmark for our products, and leveraging the strengths of a company like Wind River has allowed us to focus on rapidly bringing high quality multimedia VoIP phone solutions to our customers,” said Jose Melendez, president, Commoca. “As such, we continue to turn to Wind River as a trusted provider of reliable systems solutions, based on a secure operating system, with consistent support for our development team on all phases of product development."
Wind River Consumer Device Services Practice
The Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices, VxWorks Edition and the Wind River General Purpose Platform, Linux Edition products are further complimented by the Wind River Consumer Devices Services Practice, which provides consumer device customers expert outsourcing and consulting services, specifically designed to speed new product introduction while minimizing development cost.
- Performance and footprint optimization for Linux and VxWorks: More than 20 years of documented size and performance optimization for devices with highly constrained environments
- System architecture and device design: Hundreds of engineering years architecting, designing and deploying set-top boxes, VoIP phones, digital televisions, digital cameras, and multi-function printers
- Reference design, board support package (BSP) and driver optimization: Extensive experience adding functionality to multiple hardware manufacturers’ reference designs; develop, extend and maintain Wind River-compliant Linux and VxWorks BSPs and customized drivers
- Media management: Multiple implementations of designing in the ability to store, organize, and retrieve content from storage based on usage, failure prevention, and security requirements
- Power management: Ensure effective power management to meet battery, power failure recovery and environmental requirements
- GUI implementation: Design and implement a menu structure and graphical user interface, working with your branding or marketing teams; integrate 2D and 3D graphics technologies
- Software system and middleware integration: Integrate, test and support third-party provided middleware technologies; develop, define and customize APIs to enable ease of porting
- Legacy application and infrastructure migration: Port to and validate legacy software systems with new platforms
- Real-time best practices: Seasoned consultants with consumer device software expertise and hundreds of project successes consult on a global scale to extend customers' in-house capabilities
To ensure a complete range of integrated technologies, Wind River has partnered with leading hardware and software providers to address technology areas such as ARM, MIPS Technologies, Texas Instruments (TI) and Tilcon.
Today, MIPS Technologies named Wind River as its premier DSO solution provider. As part of this strategic alliance, joint customers will have access to best-in-class MIPS Technologies’ processor cores and Wind River’s comprehensive range of DSO products. The companies will align and optimize the integration of these technologies and products for the consumer entertainment, imaging, network equipment, and automotive telematics markets. For more information on today’s announcement, please see the separate Wind River and MIPS Technologies’ press release at: http://www.windriver.com/news/press/pr.html?ID=2183
“This strategic commitment to each other’s product and technology roadmaps ensures that joint customers have access to the most optimized solutions for their target devices and applications,” said John Bourgoin, president and chief executive officer, MIPS Technologies. “MIPS Technologies’ decision to more tightly align with Wind River’s Device Software Optimization strategy means that OEMs who select MIPS-based reference designs will be able to build superior products with a performance, quality and time-to-market advantage.”
Another long-standing Wind River partner, ARM, voiced its support for Wind River’s device development solutions. ARM is the industry’s leading provider of global system solutions, whose technology is at the heart of silicon system-on-chip solutions for a wide range of consumer entertainment, wireless and home networking devices. “ARM is committed to providing innovative microprocessor IP, physical IP, tools and software, that enable our partners to bring advanced digital products to market easily and on time,” said Mike Inglis, executive vice president of marketing, ARM. “We are working with Wind River to support its class-leading development systems such as Wind River Workbench, and Platforms such as the Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices, across the breadth of the ARM architecture to fulfill this vision.”
As part of the Wind River Worldwide User Conference in Orlando this week, Wind River and TI will demonstrate Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices, VxWorks Edition on TI’s leading VoIP gateway software and silicon solutions. Both consumer and enterprise adoptions of VoIP are expected to grow exponentially in the next five years. The combination of Wind River’s DSO solutions and TI’s market-leading VoIP chipsets allows customers to achieve higher quality, shorter time-to-market and lower total cost ownership of their devices. TI has been a Wind River partner for 12 years and has used Wind River's DSO products and solutions in a variety of TI technology platforms for IP phones, residential and enterprise VoIP gateways, Voice over DSL and Voice over Cable modems.
Also at the user conference, Wind River and Tilcon will showcase a powerful and flexible graphical VoIP phone user interface. By leveraging Tilcon’s unique architecture and Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices, OEMs and ODMs can rapidly build, simulate, customize and re-brand the phone’s entire user interface. This translates into faster time to market, lower cost of ownership and a rapid increase in market share. Tilcon has been a Wind River partner for 4 years and has integrated with Wind River’s DSO products in a variety of applications such as enterprise VoIP phones and digital set-top boxes.
“The DSO ecosystem is fundamentally changing the way device software is being developed,” said John Fanelli, vice president, product planning and management, Wind River. “Manufacturers in the consumer market and beyond must take a completely different approach to developing intelligent, connected devices, and Wind River plays a crucial role in helping our customers succeed in this fast-paced market where differentiation is the key to survival.”
The Wind River Platform for Consumer Devices, VxWorks Edition, based on VxWorks 6.1, will be available in Early Access for select customers in late May 2005 and will be generally available in June 2005. The Wind River General Purpose Platform, Linux Edition, is available today in Early Access for select customers will be generally available in June 2005.
About Wind River
Wind River is the global leader in device software optimization (DSO). Wind River enables companies to develop and run device software faster, better, at a lower cost and more reliably. Wind River Platforms are pre-integrated, fully standardized enterprise-wide development solutions. They reduce effort, cost and risk, and optimize quality and reliability at all phases of the device software development process from concept to deployed product.
Founded in 1981, Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, California, with operations worldwide. To learn more, visit Wind River at http://www.windriver.com or call Wind River at 1-800-872-4977.
Forward-Looking Safe Harbor Statement
Certain statements in this press release including, but not limited to, the anticipated release and benefits of new products, services and reference designs by Wind River and resulting from collaboration with partners, are forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause results to be materially different than expectations. Such risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, delays in the development or integration of technologies, rapid technological or business changes that adversely affect customer demand or partner strategies, and other risks detailed from time to time in the Wind River reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission including its Form 10-K for the year ended January 31, 2005. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Wind River disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
The Wind River logo is a trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc., and Wind River and VxWorks are registered trademarks of Wind River Systems, Inc. Other marks used herein are the property of the respective owners.
Director, Global Communications