Wind River Drives Telematics Innovation with Complete Suite of Market-Specific DSO Products and Services, Extends Partner Ecosystem and Reference Design Systems
- Launches Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices, bringing more choice and flexibility to telematics developers
- Announces Automotive Device Services Practice leveraging 175+ Wind River services consultants and 20+ years of device design expertise to meet the needs of automotive customers
- Extends partner ecosystem to optimize the development process and foster innovative engineering
TELEMATICS DETROIT, LIVONIA, Mich. — May 16, 2005 — Wind River Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:WIND), the global leader in Device Software Optimization (DSO), today announced that it is transforming the automotive industry with the launch of Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices, a fully integrated enterprise-wide solution that enables automotive manufacturers to create innovative and reliable telematics solutions better, faster, more reliably and at a lower cost. Also announced today, Wind River launched its Automotive Device Services Practice, a set of industry-specific services that combines Wind River’s 20-plus years of experience with automotive standards to bring its comprehensive set of proven best practices to automotive customers. Additionally, the company announced plans to expand its partnerships with key hardware and software providers in the space. Today’s announcements come in response to a market shift wherein telematics providers are demanding better ways to optimize the development process to keep costs down and increase innovation. Wind River executives will address this shift in keynote and panel sessions at this year’s Telematics Detroit.
The automotive telematics market is rapidly converging with the consumer and networking device markets, and automotive device manufacturers are under increasing pressure to support the demand for more complex software. To keep up with this demand, automotive device manufacturers are forced to deliver complex devices faster, while maintaining quality and reliability. In order to be successful, developers are choosing to adopt a DSO strategy that enables innovation, flexibility and cost controls within tight development windows.
"Wind River is bringing its strength in integrated development systems to the telematics platform market," said Dr. Egil Juliussen, principal analyst and co-founder, Telematics Research Group. "The proliferation of computer-based systems in the automotive market requires development systems that support multiple hardware and software platforms. Wind River’s device software solution is taking it one step closer in making these development systems a reality."
Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices
Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices offers telematics developers a DSO platform that combines the industry leading VxWorks ™ real time operating system, the industry’s premier open, device software development suite, Wind River Workbench and essential multimedia and connectivity middleware. Available in June 2005, Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices brings unique value to the automotive industry and addresses the pain points telematics developers face by offering more choice, flexibility and tighter product integration. Key features and functionality include:
- Industry Leading Real-Time Operating System Support: Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices relies on the proven VxWorks operating system which provides process support and advanced memory protection, as well as configurable error management. Support for standards, graphics support through WindML, increased POSIX compliance and TIPC is included.
- Advanced Automotive Connectivity: Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices provides drivers and protocols for devices connected to other in-vehicle devices, consumer electronics devices and the network infrastructure. Support such as CAN, USB, WiFi and IPv4/IPv6 is included.
- Network Security Support: Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices includes an extensive suite of security protocols to protect network data. This protocol suite includes implementations of IPsec and IKE, Firewall and NAT, Radius Client, 802.11i wireless security, SSL, and Digital Certificates. These protocols can be used in any combination to provide secure applications that require access control, authentication, privacy, or integrity.
- Integrated Development Environment Support: Based upon the Eclipse framework, Wind River Workbench provides the deep capabilities that support the entire development life-cycle from hardware bring-up to product test and manufacture. Workbench provides standardization on one common development suite across an entire organization, and is extensible and scalable so that it allows customers to meet unique project needs, and seamlessly integrates hundreds of third-party plug-ins.
- Extensive Partner Technologies: To ensure a complete range of integrated technologies, Wind River has partnered with leading hardware and software providers to address technology areas such as speech recognition and text-to-speech, Java, advanced graphics capabilities, Bluetooth and 1394.
Wind River Automotive Devices Services Practice
As part of its comprehensive automotive platform solution, Wind River now offers an Automotive Devices Services Practice which provides its automotive telematics customers expert outsourcing and consulting services, specifically designed to help telematics providers meet strict market deadlines while keeping development costs down.
- Device Design: Includes system requirements development, hardware and software high-level architecture design, technology assessments, and partial and complete design outsourcing to help ensure a project’s success.
- BSP and Driver Optimization: Includes development and maintenance of Wind River-compliant Linux and VxWorks BSPs and customized drivers.
- Software System and Middleware Integration: Integrate, test and support third-party provided middleware technologies to the platform.
- Legacy Application and Infrastructure Migration: Port to and validate legacy software systems with new platforms.
- Real-Time Best Practices: Seasoned consultants with deep automotive device software expertise and dozens of project success, consult on a global scale to extend customers’ in-house capabilities.
"More than ever, our telematics customers are demanding highly intelligent, state-of-the-art products," said Ralf Loeffert, director of System Software at Siemens VDO. "Wind River is the DSO provider that offers the full breadth and depth of expert design consulting services that we require to help us develop and deliver truly superior products while staying on schedule and controlling costs."
Wind River is deepening its partner ecosystem to include a wider range of leading software and hardware suppliers to expand its portfolio of best-of-breed device development solutions and services. As part of this effort, Wind River is announcing a collaborative initiative with Freescale Semiconductor, the world’s leading supplier of semiconductors to the automotive market. As part of this initiative, the companies plan to provide a joint hardware and DSO technology reference design to the automotive telematics device market.
The reference design, being demonstrated at Detroit Telematics, includes Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices, VxWorks Edition and Wind River Workbench which will provide integrated support of Freescale’s Media5200 hardware platforms, as well as its newly released MPC5200B processor. This joint solution will provide customers with more choice, as well as improved integration and flexibility to help create complex, intelligent devices on time and under budget.
"This is a great opportunity to build on our relationship with Wind River as we continue to raise the bar in providing state-of-the-art device development solutions for the automotive industry," said Anand Ramamoorthy, manager of Infotainment, Multimedia and Telematics Division for Freescale. "With Wind River’s automotive platforms and development tools supporting our evaluation boards and MPC5200B, our joint customers will have a world-class solution specifically designed to meet automotive developers’ individual needs."
See today’s related release announced by Freescale Semiconductor at: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/homepage.jsp?nodeId=09&tid=FSH
Wind River boasts partnerships with many of the industry’s leading software and hardware technology providers, which affords customers the choices they need to be successful in a highly competitive and crowded market. To see an expansive list of partners expressing resounding support for Wind River’s success in the automotive space and for Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices, please visit: http://www.windriver.com/products/platforms/automotive/partner.html
Wind River and key ecosystem partners including Freescale will be demonstrating three automotive reference designs at Detroit Telematics that will integrate critical technologies from some of the automotive industry’s leading software providers. Wind River’s reference designs will offer a solid platform for both hardware and software engineers to use in evaluating and prototyping designs that closely parallel final applications, ultimately reducing development time and accelerating time to market. Full demonstration details include:
- 3-D Telematics Navigation Application: Cutting edge OpenGL graphics middleware allows telematics vendors to create low power, low cost, high performance 3-D navigation systems. The demo will incorporate ALT Software’s optimized OpenGL driver for VxWorks, running on Freescale’s Lite5200 board, and the Fujitsu Coral P ASIC.
- Automotive Dashboard with MP3 and CD Player: A rich graphical Human Machine Interface (HMI) with working MP3 and CD players. This reference design allows developers to create rich modular and customizable infotainment systems. The demo will incorporate Tilcon’s comprehensive and rich set of GUI libraries and widgets, Datalight’s reliable file system and flash memory driver, a full featured board support package, and a sample multimedia framework all integrated on Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices and running on Freescale’s Media5200 automotive hardware platform.
- Automotive Integrated Applications Framework: Vendors experience improved time to market and cost advantages by pre-integrating a full range of automotive components such as advanced graphics, radio, CD, DVD and camera. Wind River’s flexible, modular and open architecture allows developers to build full featured production systems at a fraction of the time normally required. The Lectronix applications framework is built using Wind River Platform for Automotive Devices and uses custom hardware based on Freescale’s MPC5200 processor.
"Whether they know it or not, manufacturers have become software companies overnight. With so much innovation and convergence affecting the automotive telematics industry, manufacturers need to take a completely different approach to developing intelligent, connected devices," said John Bruggeman, chief marketing officer, Wind River. "Wind River plays a crucial role in helping our customers keep up with the latest advancements, by not only providing a secure, standards-based device software solution but also by teaming with other industry leaders to offer the world-class products, services, and support telematics developers need to be successful."
About Wind River
Wind River is the global leader in device software optimization (DSO). Wind River enables companies to develop and run device software faster, better, at a lower cost and more reliably. Wind River Platforms are pre-integrated, fully standardized enterprise-wide development solutions. They reduce effort, cost and risk, and optimize quality and reliability at all phases of the device software development process from concept to deployed product.
Founded in 1981, Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, California, with operations worldwide. To learn more, visit Wind River at http://www.windriver.com or call Wind River at 1-800-872-4977.
Forward-Looking Safe Harbor Statement
Certain statements in this press release including, but not limited to, the anticipated release and benefits of new products, services and reference designs by Wind River and resulting from collaboration with partners, are forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause results to be materially different than expectations. Such risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, delays in the development or integration of technologies, rapid technological or business changes that adversely affect customer demand or partner strategies, and other risks detailed from time to time in the Wind River reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission including its Form 10-K for the year ended January 31, 2005. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Wind River disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
The Wind River logo is a trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc., and Wind River and VxWorks are registered trademarks of Wind River Systems, Inc. Third party marks and brands are the property of their respective holders.
Director, Global Communications