Since 1981, Wind River® has supported global industry standards, enabling customers to achieve the highest efficiency in product development and superior quality user experience. Use of these standards has allowed aerospace and defense suppliers to rapidly improve their system performance and reduce costs across a wide range of deployments through increased interoperability, reuse, and portability for new and existing software.
Wind River VxWorks 653 Platform implements ARINC Specification 653, the avionics industry’s standard for integrated modular avionics (IMA). VxWorks 653 is used in more than 290 projects, by over 163 customers, on over 56 aircraft.
Future Airborne Capability Environment (FACE™)
Wind River fully supports the global standardization efforts of over 30 military avionics suppliers to create open platforms for rapid integration of a wide source of legacy and new applications on critical avionics systems. FACE™ is managed by The Open Group.
A founding member of the FACE Consortium, Wind River currently delivers safe and secure platforms that will support the FACE Reference Architecture's General Purpose, Safety, and Security operating system profiles.
For more information about Wind River’s support of FACE, visit here
RTCA DO-178B, RTCA DO-178C, and EUROCAE ED-12B
- Wind River VxWorks Cert Platform provides a commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) solution for delivering safety critical applications that must be certified to the stringent requirements of RTCA DO-178B, DO-178C, and EUROCAE ED-12B up to and including Level A, the highest safety level. The Wind River DO-178B/C and ED-12B COTS Certification Evidence DVD contains a complete Level A certification package, enabling our customers to achieve lower cost development and faster time-to-market.
- Wind River Certified Network Stack for VxWorks Cert is an embedded TCP/UDP/IPv4 network stack that can be used in conjunction with VxWorks Cert Platform and includes complete certification evidence for RTCA DO-178B, DO-178C, and ED-12B at Level A.
- For IMA systems, VxWorks 653 Platform also has an industry-leading COTS certification evidence package containing over 70,000 hyperlinked files to support the use of this ARINC 653 platform for RTCA DO-178B, DO-178C, and ED-12B Level A systems. The Wind River Certified Network Stack for VxWorks 653 also includes complete certification evidence for DO-178B, DO-178C, and ED-12B at Level A.
RTCA DO-297 and EUROCAE ED-124
To enable multiple vendors to participate in deploying critical software platforms and applications in shared avionics compute platforms, VxWorks 653 supports platform supplier, application supplier, and system integrator roles-based development using the RTCA DO 297 and EUROCAE ED-124 specification.
Common Criteria EAL4+
Based on our Carrier Grade Linux platform, Wind River Linux Security Profile delivers certification evidence required for Common Criteria for Information Technology Security Evaluation (ISO/IEC 15408) Evaluation Assurance Level (EAL) 4+ on ARM, Power, Intel®, and TI processors, with full traceability to source code. Our former product Wind River Linux Secure was the first commercial embedded Linux platform to achieve EAL4+ certification by the U.S. National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP) using the General Purpose Operating System Protection Profile (GP-OSPP). Wind River Linux Security Profile includes a rich set of security features, including a comprehensive security policy, identification and authentication, system auditing, access control mechanisms, cryptographic services, and memory protection. Organizations can also take advantage of multilevel and multi-category security through National Security Agency (NSA)–developed Security Enhanced Linux (SELinux) capabilities built into Wind River Linux carrier grade and security profiles.
Common Criteria EAL6+
Wind River VxWorks MILS Platform includes the Wind River separation kernel (SK) for building multilevel secure (MLS) systems and cross-domain solutions (CDS). With its separation kernel conforming to the U.S. Government Protection Profile for Separation Kernels in Environments Requiring High Robustness, Version 1.03, this Multiple Independent Levels of Security (MILS) platform delivers certification evidence required for Common Criteria EAL6+.
Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2
- FIPS 140-2 is the published standard for secure cryptography. It addresses how cryptography is implemented (intrinsics) and how it serves applications (operations).
- Wind River VxWorks platforms provide support for FIPS 140-2 by using OpenSSL's FIPS 140-2 certified module and interoperating with it.
- Common Criteria–certified versions of Wind River Linux use the Network Security Services library from Mozilla for intrinsics. It serves applications via the Wind River Cryptography Framework, which keeps data between applications private. Certification to FIPS 140-2 meets the cryptography requirement of the GP-OSPP.
VxWorks Cert Platform provides a COTS solution for satisfying industrial safety certification requirements with its complete certification and evidence package for IEC 61508, a standard similar to RTCA DO-178C. IEC 61508 certification evidence is also available for the Wind River Certified Network Stack for VxWorks Cert.
Wind River VxWorks® is an industry standard in use today by 800 aerospace and defense suppliers worldwide. For ease of integration with enterprise systems, VxWorks includes a wide selection of UNIX system calls, conforms to the IEEE Standard 1003.13 PSE52 embedded system profile, and is compliant with over 90% of the POSIX PSE53 profile.
POSIX PSE54 and IEEE 1003.1
To accelerate the use of enterprise-derived software on embedded systems, Wind River Linux has full compliance to IEEE Standard 1003.1 and POSIX IEEE Standard 1003.13 PSE54, consisting of over 900 UNIX system calls.
Software Communications Architecture (SCA) 2.2.1/2.2.2
Wind River Linux and VxWorks fully conform to the JPEO Joint Tactical Radio Systems (JTRS) 2.2.1 and SCA 2.2.2 for rapid integration with critical communications components that accelerate deployment of software defined radios (SDRs) into next-generation military and commercial communications systems.
Carrier Grade Linux (CGL 5.0)
Wind River Linux platforms provide robust, full-featured Carrier Grade Linux solutions that incorporate advanced networking protocols and applications, remote management, security and authentication capabilities, peripheral connectivity, and storage and file systems, all based on software standards.
Linux Standard Base (LSB) 4.0
LSB is a set of standards for Linux distributions and applications aimed at providing cross-platform compatibility between LSB-compliant Linux distributions and applications. It is supported on x86, Power PC, and MIPS architectures. Wind River Linux supports all required user space functionality to be LSB certifiable with the Linux Foundation.
The Wind River Workbench integrated development environment is based on Eclipse, the open standard development framework for enterprise systems. Wind River adds robust support for development of multi-threaded embedded software on single, multi-board, multiprocessor, and multi-core environments. In addition, our large partner ecosystem can now rapidly and reliably integrate into a wide range of Wind River solutions to deliver a rich development experience.